Road Trip to Ipoh – Part 1 (Gopeng Heritage Museum, Kellie’s Castle)

Yes, again, we’re on a Road Trip to Ipoh over the weekend. Did we mentioned that we just love road trip! It’s fun. FF’s lil’ brother just got his new car and we just wanted to try the ‘so called’ new car endurance. Well, that’s the plan and why Ipoh? Somewhere around end of last year road trip, we only managed to cover Taiping and we believe Ipoh and the surrounding town has even more to offer.  We don’t have any fix itinerary as it was just a free and easy trip for 3 of us. We are very much depending on WAZE application through out the trip and it direct us to the correct location each time.


As we just a few kilometres away of the Gopeng exit via the PLUS North South Highway, we then decided to drop by to the Gopeng Heritage House. We just knew that Gopeng Heritage House was actually started right after the opening of Muzium Gopeng. The Gopeng Museum was launched on April 2009 and the Heritage House 2 years later. We initially got confused when we did passed by Muzium Gopeng and saw such an identical design, colour and building on our way back from Gopeng Heritage House.


At the Gopeng Heritage House, we found out and realized that Gopeng town was actually older than Ipoh and Kuala Lumpur 150 years ago where the main 2 activities are the tin mining and rubber plantations. This is even where the most famous traditional chinese medicine product of Eu Yan Sang (such as the ginseng, bird nest and etc) is fully originated.

It all began in 1873 when Eu Kong left his hometown of Foshan, a village in Guangdong province of southern China, to seek his fortune in Malaya. The industrious young man settled down in the small mining town of Gopeng, Perak.

Noticing that the tin mine workers depended on opium to alleviate the pain and suffering from hard work and poor living conditions, he introduced traditional Chinese herbal remedies to nurse their health. This led to the opening of the first Yan Sang shop in 1879.


The house was a brilliant idea of a banker by profession, Bernard Yaw where he returned to Gopeng just to fulfill his mother’s dream. We were so impressed as this is one of his efforts to reminisce the glory years of Gopeng and to show the way of life in the last century.





Introducing FF’s lil bro. 😀

They even have a small cafe if you intend to have a cup of coffee and tea at the back-end of Ground Floor. It comes with a small souvenir corner too. It was just nice to watch those Aunt and Uncle having their talk from this top view with such a nice background set.




The Heritage House is only open on Saturday and Sunday meanwhile the Gopeng Museum opens five days a week and is closed on Wednesday and Thursday. In case you are wondering where’s the exact location, this is it:

Gopeng Heritage House – Jalan Sungai Itik, 31600, Gopeng Perak

Muzium Gopeng – No. 28, Jalan Eu Kong, 31600 Gopeng, Perak


Right after Gopeng Town, we then moved forward towards Ipoh town. We suddenly spotted the road signage showing ‘Kellie’s Castle’ on the main road and we decided to re route and headed to Batu Gajah. It was our first time here. We were there somewhere around 11.00am and it was scorching hot at that time. We were told that this is the ‘NEW’ kind of look of the castle as it was newly refurbished with an extra features of public facilities such as the ample parking lots, toilet, convenience shop, new landscape and others just to serve as a visitor spot. Plus, local visitors are required to pay for an entrance fees of RM 5. This castle was strategically located where it was surrounded by a river.



Kellie’s Castle (Kellie’s Folly) is located near Batu Gajah, and it is about 20 minutes drive from IpohPerakMalaysia. The unfinished, ruined mansion, was built by a Scottish planter named William Kellie Smith. According to differing accounts, it was either a gift for his wife or a home for his son.

Unfortunately William Kellie Smith died at the age of 56 due to pneumonia during a short trip to Lisbon, Portugal in 1926. William’s wife was devastated and decided to move back to Scotland. In the end, Kellas House, later known as Kellie’s Folly or Kellie’s Castle, was sold to a British company called Harrisons and Crosfield.

Source: Wikipedia

The main entrance


The famous Kellas House


There have been many myths about the castle where it was believe that Smith’s and his daughter spirit are still wandering inside the castle especially along the corridors. There’s also a statement saying that those spirits are from the workers who are died during the construction and 2nd World War. Despite of all the myths, what exactly attracted us is when we found that one of the most famous Project Management Consultant (PMC) – Opus International was originally from Kinta Kellas Tin Dredging Company Ltd owned by William Kellie Smith. And this is how it all started.

The ‘so called’ Haunted Corridor





The view from 2nd floor where the podium and an indoor tennis court is located. It was believe that the floor was constructed to cater function for all the wealthy colonial planters around Kinta area.






Besides being haunted, the castle is believed to have hidden rooms and secret underground tunnels. It was believed that there are 4 underground tunnels and Smith’s car is parked in one of the tunnels too. Amazing huh? Perhaps, you might want to include this unfinished castle or mansion to your itinerary if you’re happen to be in Perak.


Simply us,
Zara AB & FF
The Province of Chroma